Study abroad can be a transformative experience, helping students to learn more about themselves, their academic and intellectual interests, and the global community. The Diamond Ambassadors Program provides funding to first-semester sophomore students each year selected on the basis of strong academic record and high financial need to help support a for-credit study abroad experience.
The Diamond Ambassadors program provides eligible students a scholarship to help meet the expenses of a study abroad experience.
Diamond Ambassador students can choose to study at a Temple campus in Rome or Japan, at any of Temple’s other programs around the world, or on any Temple-approved study abroad program.
The Diamond Ambassador Scholarship is by invitation only. Candidates will be invited on the basis of academic performance and financial need at the end of their freshman year. In addition to meeting the academic and financial need requirements, candidates must
- be enrolled as a full-time, matriculated undergraduate student at Temple University at the time of application;
- have a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the end of the freshman year;
- be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident;
- be in good academic and disciplinary standing – students on disciplinary probation or warning are not eligible;
- enroll as a full-time student in a Temple University approved study abroad program;
- return to Temple University for at least one semester after completion of the study abroad program;
- agree to complete a program evaluation and participate in at least two Education Abroad information sessions or promotional events upon return from the study abroad experience.
It is not necessary for a student to have been accepted into the study abroad program at the time of submitting the scholarship application. Being selected by Temple for a Diamond Ambassador scholarship does not guarantee a student will be accepted into the study abroad program. If a student is not accepted into a study abroad program, the scholarship will not be awarded.
The application process includes an essay and a letter of support from a faculty member. Candidates are required to consult with their academic advisor to establish the extent to which the proposed study abroad will impact their academic progress and time to degree, and with the Education Abroad office to discuss their study abroad program choice. Selected students may apply their Diamond Ambassador award to study abroad at any time during their Temple undergraduate career.